Statistics* tell part of the story…
- At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.
- Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
- The amount spent on just ice cream, in just Europe, is more than double the amount needed to provide basic education to all of the world’s poor.
Reports tell us more…
- Measuring the effect education has on poverty reveals… “a strong relationship between educational attainment and poverty clearly indicates that raising the qualification levels of workers, in particular those lowest-positioned, is a direct and efficient path towards poverty reduction in Serbia. At least as a first step…”**
Our first-hand experiences tell the rest…
- See that child begging on the corner? He lives in a home with neither plumbing nor electricity. He cannot read. He cannot write, and math is a mystery to him.
- See that pretty girl just in the shadow of the doorway? Her husband is her pimp. Her life is a blurry mix of drugs, rape, and abuse.
- See the man on the roadside, in the shabby clothes? He’ll stand there day after day, in any weather, hoping someone will hire him for some menial, and terribly underpaid work, but his family just might eat this week.
None of these people are fictional, they are real, all too real. Their stories might be different, but their need is the same…a way to determine their future, in their context, at their pace.
So, here we are…a first step. A chance. Providing opportunities to rise above the hand-me-down life given through generational poverty. You can be part of it all. You can start the change now with just a click.>>> Student Sponsorship
Other ways to help…
*Figures from World Bank Reports.
** Poverty in Serbia: Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction Unit Government of the Republic of Serbia